If you’re not familiar with smudging, it is the common energy cleansing technique from the Native American tradition. It is used in ceramnoinies and helps to clear and renew energy. Many cultures have used smudging to create a cleansing smoke to purify, cleanse and renew the body, aura, energy, ceremonial space or home. This ritual is used to remove negative energy as well as for centering and healing ourselves. Some individuals use smudging to cleanse themselves on a daily basis. It can also be used to clear your space, home or objects from any unpleasant energies or stressful interactions or emotions presented in any space or form. I find it to be very relaxing and a beautiful experience /ritual privatly done or with friends and or spiritual gathering. In my experience, I can feel the energy shift immediately as I start to clear the space or myself. It is very calming especially after a long or stressful day or situation. Homes and bodies are not just made of physical matter; they also vibrate with invisible energy and emotion. You may know it as chi or prana. Cleansing and clearing a space and our bodies with techniques such as smudging, is known to remove all the emotional and psychic “garbage” that our area or aura is holding.
Supplies You Need For Smudging Your Space:
- Smudge stick (sage) I mainly use white sage, I also love sage with a bit of lavender in it, It depends on what you prefer and what your intention is. White sage is great for clearing mirrors and objects as well.
- Candle & matches
- A fireproof container ( I love using a conch shell or metal or glass bowl)
- Sand ( to put your wand out safely
How To Smudge Your House:
1. Place the candle, the fireproof container, and the smudge stick on a table or flat and safe area. It is best if you create a space of love, protection, and your highest good. Find a time when you will not be disturbed; 10-15 min should be enough.
2. Light the candle and say a prayer or intention to clear your home in your highest good and ask for any lingering negative energy to go. I like singing or playing meditation music when I smudge as I believe that it brings a higher vibration of love and light. Light the tip of your smudge stick with a candle flame, then lightly blow the smudge stick being very careful not to blow embers.
3. Hold the smudge stick over your fire safe container, the entire time to avoid any embers falling onto the floor. You can use a feather if you have one, it is up to you on how you see the most explicit energy entering the room. Some hold stones while they do it as well, again this is all a personal choice. Remind yourself to stay connected to your breathing throughout your smudging session and your intention of clearing the house and asking for all negative energies to leave the house, that they are no longer welcome. This can include energy left behind by a fight or fade.
4. Go clockwise around your home, starting at the front door ( again, this is an energy choice, if you feel you need to start in another part of the house this is what will be best for you) and gently wave the wand and smudge all corners of the room and where ever else in the place you are guided to. Corners of rooms tend to accumulate stagnant energy. Be sure to also open the closet doors and carefully smudge inside. Do not forget about spaces such as the laundry room, the garage or the basement. I love smudging the front porch or entryway as well.
5. When you have smudged all areas of your home or space, come back to where you started and gently extinguish your smudge stick (dipping it into the sand, applying pressure works well).
How to Smudge Yourself (or Somebody Else):
Once your smudge stick is lit and smoldering, hold it slighlty above a fire safe container, ready to catch any embers that may fall. Carefuly wave the wand and smoke around your head safely, then around each shoulder and down and in front and back of the body, you can also smudge between the legs and even the bottoms of your feet. Again this is a sacred ritual. I have seen it done in many successful and beautiful ways, also going backward starting with the feet. It is up to you and where you feel pulled to smudge and clean energy. If you have a friend, it makes this process a lot easier, and you can close your eyes and pray and set a high intention. Always do this for your highest good. I love asking for all negative energies, intentions, and attachments to be released and taken away from the house or space that you are doing this in. Outside smudging is lovely as well.
If you have any techniques you would like to share; please do so in the comments below.
Much Love & Light,
Nomadic Spiritual Healings LLC